Friday, May 6, 2011

Resort-ee

I've never thought of myself as a person particularly gifted towards solicitousness. That is, I haven't ever been a people person. I think this is linked with the fact that as a young girl my mother set me alone in a play pen to entertain myself---she said it was to protect me from my siblings. That's whack. Or maybe it's true. Either way, I think this planted a loner seed in my being, and that's why I don't mind eating alone, driving myself to far off places alone, or really spending a whole day without human interaction.
So I find it quite ironic that the only jobs I've ever held have been in customer service, or at least dealing with people. Working as a till girl at a specialty food shoppe...cleaning rooms at a B & B...being a nanny...a student worker in an office building...and soon to be spa attendant and bus girl.
I can't say I hate dealing with perfect strangers in a money-gaining setting, but it sure isn't my favorite thing. *Sometimes I regret wishing away my nanny job in Florida, where I watched Regis and Kelly every morning and rocked out to Alt Nation in my bikini; where I nearly beat Mario Brothers and got to see a baby learn to crawl & see her smile as I blew bubbles into the 90 degree sun-scented air. Quite bluntly...I miss Madison. And I miss Lindsey. And gosh darn it, I even miss my big ol' brother, Nate. Those are the kind of people I don't mind dealing with. *

No comments:

Post a Comment